Re: Seeds

Ray W wrote:

> I am making my first attempt at growing from seed. I have a few
> questions. Is it best to start indoors? I have tried in one of those
> plastic green houses under a flourescent light. Didn't work! Now I am
> trying in box, without cover, under flourescent light (8 inches above).
> How long should germination take?
>
> Concerning gathering. When is it time to gather? How do I store them?
>
> I am sure that someone can give some idea's
>
> Ray
Ray & All
Seeds can be gathered when ripe, This veries with the vwriety, but is
usually in October Here in the North East  Ripe seeds will be black, and
the "good" ones will have a plump "kernel" in one end.  These can be
stored in the fridge, for short periods  (up to three months)  In the
freezer for longer periods.  I use what is commonly refered to as a half
flat.  It is three inches deep, and about 11 inches X 13 inches.  It can
be filled with 1 - 1/12 " of "cornell" mix, and after moistening, the
seed can be "pressed" on to the surface by hand. Label, re-water gently,
and cover using a 2 gallon "zip Lock" type bag.  This can be sealed up,
and will "hold" the plants for up to a year.  I don't have to water mine
for months.  Seedlings can be transplanted from these flats as they
become large enough.  These flats are placed under regular florecent
lights (about 6" away)  Heat build up in the flats can be a problem , so
be sure to have a ventilating system.
Ran Lydell
Eagle Bay Hosta Gardens
10749  Bennett Rd.