Re: Seed Pods & Flower Scapes

<< These streaky seed pods will produce streaked seedlings.
 Some hostas which are not considered to be streaky pod parents will
 occasionally send the marginal variegation into the center of the leaf and
 down the stem (actually it occurs just the opposite, it just looks that
 way).
 These streaked stems have the potential to produce variegated seed pods
 and then streaked seedlings. So, look closely at your common hosta
 varieties and you may find streaked scapes occasionally. Those seed pods
 are the ones that you would want to harvest and plant for something
 potentially interesting.

HEY ALL.....MY COMPUTER CRASHED....SO I AM WAY BEHIND.....IF THIS HAS BEEN
ANSWERED OR DISCUSSED TO DEATH......OH WELL

I HAVE ALSO HEARD THAT STREAKED PODS GIVE STREAKED KIDS.....

HOWEVER I RECENTLY OVERHEARD TWO OF THE WELL EXPERIENCED HYBRIDIZERS TALKING
[YES, I WAS EAVESDROPPING]

THEY WERE DEBATING WHETHER THE STREAKED PODS WERE
INFERTILE/STERILE........I'VE ONLY HAD ONE EXPERIENCE WITH A SINGLE STREAKED
POD....AND NONE OF THE ALLEGED SEED WAS VIABLE....

THEY WENT ON TO SUGGEST THAT IT IS THE GREEN PODS ON THE STREAKED SCAPE WHICH
ARE THE PODS WHICH MIGHT HAVE VIABLE SEEDS, AND POTENTIAL STREAKY
SEEDLINGS......

PERHAPS WEEDERWOMAN HAS AN OPINION AS TO THE THOUGHTS OF EDDIE ELS..... &
CLARENCE O.......PATSY, DO YOU AGREE OR NOT....OT HAVE NO OPINION????

LATER    KEN