From: Chick <bridgewd@annap.infi.net>
To: hosta-open@mallorn.com <hosta-open@mallorn.com>
Date: Saturday, July 25, 1998 9:55 AM
Subject: Re: H. 'Guardian Angel'

I think the difference of opinion here has to do with which leaves we are talking about.  If the plant puts up a second flush of leaves in the summer, which it usually does here, they will show little if any of the white center.  Leaves that came up when the weather was cool will retain a visible center, though here at least it will turn from white to green.  The plant was not well behaved for me this year, I think because of the very warm weather we had in the early spring.  The color was not as good as usual, and some of the later leaves were better colored than the earliest ones.  In past years, the color has been very consistent, starting out bright white in the center in the spring and going to light green in the summer, with late emerging foliage being identical to 'Blue Angel'.   This year's experience leads me to suspect the plant may vary considerably from year to year depending on the weather.  By the way, all of the above is based on growing 'Angel Eyes', not 'Guardian Angel', though I'm pretty sure they are the same plant found in two different places.

Chick
 http://www.bridgewoodgardens.com

CCREDUX@aol.com wrote:

Unfortunately, there are rumours afloat that the subject plant "turns all
green."

This information, communicated to me by a member of the Indy Hosta Soc., is
gross  misinformation---it isn't true.
The  plant holds its beautiful and subtle variegation thruout the season.

Clyde Crockett z5