Re: registered hosta

  • To: (Recipient list suppressed)
  • Subject: Re: registered hosta
  • From: WiN <raffi@sympatico.ca>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 12:54:31 -0400

"to be or not to be" ...and the question is ABOUT REGISTRATION regulations/dictates wanting to be written into the AHS Constitution; and for example... Ray Wiegand wrote  .."I was in on many conversations concerning registration at the convention. IMO- a plant "comercially ready" should be registered. An unstable-breeder is not " commercially ready", nor is a new introduction. If every plant was registered, there would be complete madness keeping up on the archives. Could you imagine how many varieties we would have in 5 years."

Bravo Ray! ..but you have forgotten *QUESTION #1* ~
                                                                           Before we move on to discuss what needs to be registered and what does not, there is a much much more important question needing to be answered first ..by someone and to everyone's satisfaction; and which, seems to have been ignored ~ TO WHIT the question is:
                                                                   "What benevolent ideal and/or purpose is to be served and/or manifested by AHS Constitution changes, which will prevent "unregistered hostas" from participting at AHS Conventions?
       Wouldn't you think? ..greater participation from the rank & file AHS membership; and particularly, in the area of those hobby, amateur-hybridizers out there, whom wish to donate sample plants of their creations to the AHS CONVENTION auctions; leaf shows and what have you -- might be a far far greater direction to move towards? ..rather than, eliminating same from convention participation!  Moving outward on a goal of AHS expansion; opposed to moving inward via limitation, rules, regulations and dictates, seems like a much more logical direction; and of course, this also applies to AHS Robin ..from which I have signed off quite a while ago, due to their GOON SQUAD implementation & needs  <==just a thought, from a rank & file and AHS dues paying member.

Until such time as *Question #1* is answered to everyone's satisfaction, there is no point talking about registry and/or non-registry of hosta'cusses ..thank you?

[SUBNOTE] ..Please also keep in mind ..the majority membership of the AHS, is made up of hosta hobby-growers; hobby amateur-hybridizers; shadow gardening enthusiasts; and as such, these have no commercial profit-motivated wants/needs to satisfy, so why would same spend their hard-earned monies to register anything, when their pursuit of hosta happiness is non-profit based. Their gardening is TOTALLY about sharing and helping others.

At this time, a number of requests have come my way ..from wannabe hosta seedling growers/hybridizers, asking to learn how it's done; wanting to obtain certain types of Breeder plants ..talking about their "Impossible Dreams" and so on.  A very private group is already in the works, to satisfy the above wannabe hybridizing requests/wants.

Anyone, wishing to participate in a *NEW INTERNET SEEDLING/HYBRIDIZER'S EXCHANGE* (NISE) ..is welcome & cordially invited to contact me?  It is a hundred percent non-profit orientated; but then, nothing in life is free, and this will not be a one way highway CALLED "take?" The magic word is "exchange"!

hosta sincerely yours
email: "William Nash" <raffi@sympatico.ca>
Personal Website URL = http://www3.sympatico.ca/raffi/