Re: Curves of Beauty

Joanne,

Please note that I indicated in the title,  "Curves" of beauty. If one
were to compile data on hostas  I believe that each hosta would have its
typical curve which might differ from that of other cultivars. Each
specific hosta's curve of beauty might also  vary depending upon many
factors...of culture for example, of seasonal  variability, of soil type
and fertility  level at any particular time of the season, of
temperature variables from year to year during the season, etc..

The use of a curve of beauty to define a given hosta would be very
general. We all know that the late blooming species hostas ( longipes,
kikutiis, pycnophylas, rupifragas and their hybrids) would probably have
a late accending curve and would appear more beautiful in the late
summer and fall months rather than in the spring when some of the bright
yellow forms of Fortuneis are at their best. My suggestion for using a
curve of beauty is  simply a method to GENERALIZE about some of the
characteristics that we associate with beauty..And the generalization
can be based on numbers that we assign to levels of beauty in hostas.
Our indices can represent "proof" that we are arriving at the right
conclusions if our judgments are rational.
It is almost like making art more meaningful by using scientific methods
and mathemetics.

Would I then ''rate " the area under the curve?. I think you mean
measure the square area under the curve. Yes, this is one method of
determining if beauty is measured to be high and for a long period of
time....it is a mathematical calculation to determine proof of beauty,
so to speak.

Thanks  for your comments. I hope others will stretch their imaginations
a bit and suggest other approaches as well.

Jim