Re: Beauty Curve in Hostas

Jim Hawes wrote:
> There! I lay that out for discussion. Is beauty too difficult to plot as
> one would scientific data on a chart to show patterns, differences in
> time, and as a  standardized way to characterize or define beauty in our
> gardens? Do readers have a better way of plotting changes in beauty over
> the season? Are esthetics so hard to measure? Are we being too
> scientific in regards to art and beauty? If so, let's hear your ideas.
> Jim Hawes
> hawesj@gcnet.net
Jim nad Dan
For me (trying to look at Hostas from a hybridizers stantpoint) this is
one of the most intresting subjects.  Charting this ( as you are doing
with the color wheel) could provide some very intresting results.  As I
discuss Hybridising goals with people, I get quite a divergance of
opnion, on what are important attributes for nwe plants.  Some think
better flowers, (but what constitutes "better flowers") others (like me)
think "seasonal longivety" is very important.  I don't think to many
would disagree that slug resistance is a top priority, but even there
not everyons think that all out future Hostas should be plansic looking
plants.  Some things are very personal, Should more blants be small?
large? should they be verigated, or solid colors? Ect. Regtonal
considerations like heat tolerance, would be a factor.  It would be
great to hear from everyone what ecah really think makes a great plant,
and as Jim suggests find a good way to chart that info.