Re: Curves of Beauty

My scale for grading the beauty of a hosta is not as scientific as Jim's but
then I am just a simple gardener and have never enjoyed a lot of scales etc.
We are lucky to have people like Jim for he has and does contribute much to
all of us.  We do need those scales and records.
I grade the beauty of a hosta by the satisfaction that I receive from growing
that particular variety.  If the plant goes dormant early in the season or
begins to look bad, then I am unhappy with it and that plant soon leaves my
garden.  I want plants that give me a feeling of pride when I walk through
the garden and can just look at them with a feeling of pleasure.  In other
words I want a return for the effort that I put into growing it.
Our season here is long.  I have hosta that came up in Feb this year and I
expect them to look good the middle of Oct.  The truth of it is that, I wish
they would all wait until at least mid April to come through the ground but
Mother Nature has her way with things like plants so we just look for what
works for each of us.
Mary