Re: Evaluating seedlings (Was: Re: Beauty Curve in Hostas)

At 07:56 AM 7/7/99 -0400, you wrote:
>At 08:41 AM 7/6/99 -0400, you wrote:
> >Jim nad Dan
>>For me (trying to look at Hostas from a hybridizers stantpoint) this is
>>one of the most intresting subjects.  Charting this ( as you are doing
>>with the color wheel) could provide some very intresting results.  As I
>>discuss Hybridising goals with people, I get quite a divergance of
>>opnion, on what are important attributes for nwe plants.  Some think
>>better flowers, (but what constitutes "better flowers") others (like me)
>>think "seasonal longivety" is very important.  I don't think to many
>>would disagree that slug resistance is a top priority, but even there
>>not everyons think that all out future Hostas should be plansic looking
>>plants.  Some things are very personal, Should more blants be small?
>>large? should they be verigated, or solid colors? Ect. Regtonal
>>considerations like heat tolerance, would be a factor.  It would be
>>great to hear from everyone what ecah really think makes a great plant,
>>and as Jim suggests find a good way to chart that info.
>>Ran
>
>Ran,
>When you are breeding for color, seems obvious how you evaluate seedlings
>(I assume you grow on promising ones to maturity to see final color).
>
>But what objective measures do you use to evaluate plants for heat
>tolerance, or slug damage, or other less obvious characteristics? How long
>do you have to grow a seedling before you can fairly judge heat tolerance?
>Do those of you who hybridize in the North send out candidate plants to
>growers in the South for evaluation? Just curious, not hinting for plants.
:-)

>Gerry (Noting that even you Yankee hybridizers could evaluate hostas for
>heat tolerance this week!)>
>
>any new or good seedling i share as guest plants with a few friends,it
serves a dual purpose i.e  grown in a diferent location and incase mine
gets destroyed (deer foot) i have a backup.  I have a hosta named
Christmas Gift, a deer stepped on it and mascerated  the crown, lucky i had
a a backup.

also, someone may be  able to do a cross i cant do.

indianabob