From: Lu Treadway <hostanut@bellsouth.net>
To: <hosta-open@mallorn.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 1999 1:01 PM
Subject: Re: Evaluating seedlings

> Ran & IndianaBob, this is really interesting reading, thank you both so
much for your posts.

> Let me see if I get this, Ran you get a seedling that you think is
"interesting", you first establish stability (about 3 years) then you plant
it in various parts of your garden to test slug effectiveness, dry
conditions, wet conditions, sun, deep shade, and then, about 12 years later,
assuming it past these tests, you register it. Jeez, that's amazing. Makes
me wonder how some plants made it into trade.

> I've been babying two sports. One is from Sitting Pretty and one is from
Lucy Vitols. Since I'm in the south, then I need to find someone in the
north who would evaluate my plants in their conditions to see if it's a good
plant all around, right? Bob, do you have a form made up that the recipant
of your gifts can fill out that gives you the information you want to know?
For example, a form that can be filled out in spring, mid-summer, flowering
time, end of summer. Hmm, maybe with a color wheel-like attachment that
evaluates leaf color during different times of the year, and bloom color in
different parts of the country.

> And here I thought this would be easy. Am I creating a monster, or what?
>
> This is great stuff guys, exactly what I wanted when I joined the robin.
Thanks.