Re: Evaluating seedlings

Gerry/Bob O'Neill wrote:

> At 08:22 AM 7/8/99 -0400, you wrote:
>    This has for the last three years been a plant
> >that looked really special.  I named it Panhandler.  I moved it to a
> >"new" location last year, and noe I have awfull "drawstring" problems. I
> >doubt I will spend much more time or space on this one.
> >Ran
>
> Ran,
> I'm sorry you've found problems with Panhandler. From the description it
> certainly does sound special. But what is a "drawstring" problem?
>
> Gerry>
Gerry
Sorry.  We get so used to using some terms, that it is easy to forget
,not everyone knows them. "Drawstring" is the tendancy for excessive
cupping.  It results from the edge of a hosta leaf actually starting to
dry slightly, while the rest of the leaf keeps on growing and
expanding.  This produces a very unplesant look.  Definatly not
desirable.  Unfortunatly if a leaf with a cupped form, does this once,
it will no doubt, repete in some years.  Just an example one of the many
reasons why Hostas need long term evaluation.
Ran