Re: The Unwritten Code

My brief response to your post is that just in the short time I have been
into hostas, and talking to people, I have IMMEDIATELY learned (and I don't
just mean one off-handed remark now and then) that some people are good as
gold, and some are simply crooked.  I think that people ruin themselves by
acting in a nonprofessional, nonethical manner and ultimately lose out on
great opportunities.  Word gets around, and those who choose to betray
professional relationships ultimately are the losers, since those are the
ones who are avoided (by some) at all costs in business dealings.

THANK GOODNESS that the majority are the former and not the latter!

Mary, it has been obvious by your posts over time that you feel very
strongly about the hybridizer's rights to not have the plant propagated by
other growers.  It's too bad that there isn't a cheaper alternative to the
"PPAF" option that would still protect you.  The only way I see to avoid
being ultimately screwed would be to keep the plant "in hiding" and not
sold until fairly large numbers are accumulated by your own tc lab (whoever
you would choose to use) and then be able to release in large enough
numbers at a decent enough price that it would not be in somebody's best
interest to take the plant and tc it themselves.  I don't know how
realistic this is but I wonder how the dilemma is dealt with.

Stacy Holtzman
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Bloomington, Indiana Z5b