Re: Unwritten Code

Mary, (and other Robins reading),

I see that indianabob and Stacy have already responded to your post
while I was thinking up a response. What I had drafted is as follows...

I an not sure how to respond to your suggestions. I appreciate that you
agree with the the philosophy   of a Code that I was describing and
commenting on. But I am not in a position to ESTABLISH policy, pass laws
or establish any other code of conduct  for others to live by. In a free
society we can't control the action of others. We can only react to what
others do.

I agree that a Code of Ethics is desirable but I can not see how anyone
can control, legislate or demand a code of conduct in a free society.
The patent laws are expensive and cumbersome to protect those who
develop improved plant materials. There is no liscencing laws regarding
use of simple tc technology unless the technology violates existing
liscencing of specific technology, such as the Gene Gun, or other
specific high tech proceedures....and such is not the case in simple
hosta tc propagation.

As I see it, the best protection that a hybridizer has is to propagate a
limited number of plants for sale in the first two or three years to
make the demand high...thus the price high. After this time period, all
others who may buy your plants are able to enter into the tc propagation
and marketing business...just as you are able to. From that time on, the
free merket, competition, supply , demand and price structure will be
determined by free  market forces. There is no protection for you or for
me or for anyone from the influences of these forces. These are economic
facts of life to which we must adjust. It may seem unfair and cruel at
times...but this is the system which exists and we must adjust as best
we can. I see no other alternative in a democratic, free market system,
do you?