Re: Marking flowers

At 07:32 PM 7/10/99 -0400, you wrote:

>I was just at a hybridizer's, and saw an interesting way he marked the
>pods - each pod was tagged, literally, with a small white tie-on tag
>(like you see at some small retail stores or flea markets) with the name
>of the pollen parent. I thought it was interesting, and practical.
>
>Diane Frederick
>Cleveland, OH zone 5

I use the same method when I hybridize tropical hibiscus, though I also
write the pod parent's name and the date of the cross. Hibiscus have an
annoying habit (which you don't see in hosta) of dropping the seed pod when
it ripens and begins to dehisce, so if you miss the day that happens, you
find a pod on the greenhouse floor with no clue of who the mother was. For
a while last winter I was using the fluorescent orange version of these
tags and the greenhouse looked quite gay all winter, like it was Christmas!

Gerry