Re: On guard, still collecting data on hosta theft. Informers namesprotected.

In a message dated 7/14/1999 12:32:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
sussextreeinc@ce.net writes:

<< What I have started may
 be the first effort to keep track of missing hostas.  >>

Dear Dan,

The Indianapolis Hosta Society had a garden tour several years back, I think
it was around 1991-2. Patsy Stygall had a beautiful specimen of H. 'Dorothy
Benedict' potted up in her potting shed along with some specimens of 'Gold
Standard'. The DB was stolen during the tour.(Obviously, a person who knows
nothing about hostas would take Gold Standard rather than DB.)

My garden was also on tour and I was then one of the first here to have
acquired what was then named H. kikutii 'Aureomarginata'.

The tour was on Sunday. Patsy discovered the theft on Monday and phoned me.
On Tuesday I was strolling through my garden and noticed that my kikutii
looked rather strange. I tugged on a leaf and it came right up. Very
clever===on the same tour someone had dug the plant up, taken the crown and
roots, pulled off the leaves and had inserted them back in the bed.
I shall never forget the afternoon. My garden was the last on tour and I had
to leave to pick up my son from baseball practice. I told the folks to make
themselves at home. Someone took me literally. :>)

Suspects? Had to be a member of the Indianapolis Hosta Society at that time.

Clyde Crockett z5