Re: 'Tattoo' sale (maybe?)

>Many times I have felt cheated because the hosta have gone for very
>cheap prices.

When you put something up for auction you are probably getting closer
to what a plant is really worth compared to what you think it is
worth.  In the daylily world novice hybridizers think their new
introductions are worth $100 just because they are new introductions.
Most of them are barely worth a fraction of that price.  A lot of
hostas do sell for big bucks because of low supply and the plants are
being sold within a group of people who specialize in hostas who are
willing to pay the high price.

There is a difference between a hobbyist business and a real business.
A hobbyist business can set a high price and if they don't get the
price its no big deal.  However, when you are in the nursery business
and that is what you make your living on, then you have to look at
pricing completely different.  Yes, there are times when you may feel
cheated, but there are also times when you find customers flush with
cash.  In the end it all averages out.  I just recently sold some Gold
Standard and So Sweet for 25 and 50 cents and it didn't bother me at
all - the So Sweet just because I wanted to get rid of it and the Gold
Standard because I have them coming out of my ears.  However, these
were also very small plants/liners and I know the customer will be
coming back next year and hopefully I'll sell him higher priced

Joe Halinar