Re: H.longipes 'Urajiro Hachijo'

Beth Arnold,

When did I say Urajiro Hachijo (spelled with a "j", not a "g") blooms? I
didn't say because I am not certain. I believe it is a short day type
which would suggest it blooms naturally in late summer...early
fall...perhaps late August or early September.. I have grown most of
mine under 24 hour lights to maximize growth and to  increase numbers .
When taken from such  a  photoperiod and planted in the garden
(depending upon the date, again), this modifies the bloom date
significantly. I have two plants which have already bloomed and have
seed pods maturing in mid-July. This is abnormally early IMO.The date of
flowering also is highly influenced by the age and size of the plants in
a specific photoperiod. So it is somewhat dangerous to speculate on a
specific date of bloom because of so many influencing variables.

Yes, I found a seedling with a streak of white tissue down the middle of
the leaf. This is mutated tissue of  L2, according to my understanding
of how histologically-distinct tissues differentiate and  grow. . When
and if this tissue layer continues to exist, it probably will expand in
size and represent adequate tissue to extend up the scape  which
develops from specific divisions which contain this mutation.... as part
of the scape and  into the ovules. Then theoretically, seedlings
resulting from such ovules may have the same L2 tissue derived from the
pod parent's L2 scape tissue as expressed in the different plastids
contained in the L2 tissue. I am of the opinion that sometimes the L1
and L2 tissue may transfer (via chimeral rearrangement)on the
scape...and L2 may exist but we do not see it because it is just one
cell in thickness and is covered by L1 with lots of dark green
chloroplast-filled cells which are epidermal. In such cases we COULD
obtain a high percentage of streaked seedlings from green scapes that
appear not to contain an L2 layer...but actually do.. You see, we have
to have both L1 and L2 tissue in leaves of seedlings (with one of the
layers having mutated tissue) to have plants with variegation
characteristics.

  Since both the mutation within the leaf and the axillary bud were
derived from the same original cell which mutated, all shoots which
develop from this mutation will be identical..at least  this is the way
I understand it happens. Did you get this explanation???It's a little
complicated but I hope you understand what I was trying to explain. This
also touches on a recent brief (one liner) discussion between Bob and
Clyde about the causal effects of streakiness and streaked seedlings
which may result. On-liners are often confusing and misleading  because
they are seldom complete. I don't mean to be critical...just stating an
opinion!!!!!

Jim Hawes
hawesj@gcnet.net