Streakers and TC

Jim Anderson,

This post is written to express an opinion as you requested.

You asked : Is this dangerous territory we are venturing into?
My opinion...NO. What is so dangerous about micropropagtion of streaked
hostas which also occur in nature. Streaked hostas are relatively
unstable and often change to different forms as we all know. . Sometimes
these form are improved forms. What is so negative about this?

You also asked..Are we doing the public (the average hosta gardener) a
disservice as Bob Solberg thinks? The average hosta gardener buys from
garden centers and nurseries. Since you sell wholesale to these outlets,
you are simply expanding  on the types of hostas you are making
available through conventional channels to the public. Some of these
hosta gardeners are also hybridizers who would like to obtain streaky
breeder plants with mutated tissues capable of transmitting variegated
tissues of the pod parent to the seedling progeny.  If the buyers want
to buy streakies, who dares to say that they should not be able to buy
them? This kind of thinking is similar to the thinking of certain
officials of the AHS who want to control what others in the hosta
community should do. Some elitist actually believe they know what is
better for the rank and file membership.. I say nonsense to such
thinking and attempts to control others. An open market system with
freedom is what we all want...not restrictions. I speak for myself and a
dozen close hosta friends who would LOVE to buy streakies if they were
available for sale.

Jim Hawes