Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #463

  • To: hosta-open@mallorn.com
  • Subject: Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #463
  • From: Tim Chavez <timchavez@fn.net>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 21:56:05 -0500

> Mike,

I have an intermittent problem with mites. My honeysucle seems to be a reservoir
for the larger red ones, Sytemics help, but can't seem to eradicate them. My
neighbor has a ot of English ivy which seems to be my perennial source of the
smaller green/yellow-two-spotted ivy mite. They both like the same plants and can
kill it in nothing flat. However, you can control them easily on HOSTA by
spraying the leaf undersides weekly with the tick spray called Permanone or
Permethrin. Its something you spray on your clothes to kill ticks, it works
great, and you learn to spray conservatively as a little works as well as a lot.
(save $, Spray lightly). I use it on sunflowers and shasta daisies to control the
larva that eat the blossoms. I Also use it on pea type vines that aphids are so
hard to keep off of (like Snailflower). The only time I need stronger stuff on my
Hostas is for soil dwellers like cutworms and slugs. Try it, you'll like it. It's
cheaper than new plants and your roots have enough juice to send up a whole new
set of leaves.

Tim Chavez
(Who is back on line, but won't be reading the last 3 months that I missed)