Re: Bud Isolation

At 05:23 AM 7/24/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Bill,
>   Is this a canidate for bud isolation?   probably have to wait till it
>get bigger, er....grows more!  Its not a seedling, er.....probably a maybe
>sport?
>Monty
>newby Hybridizer
------------------ Monty Carlson,

Looking at the digital image attached to your email, my thoughts suggest that the plant is too small to do a bud cutting just yet.

Notwithstanding, I am going to suggest some surgery to your plant:  Theoretically & hypothetically speaking; if for example, you were to cut off leaves 1 2 & 3 (as close to root base as possible) leaving the desired leaf in tact (leaf 4) and staking same to avoid breakage ...my thinking, leads me to believe, that the auxillary bud under that desired & prefered leaf-stem will develope more quickly, and eye development will move in that direction.  In late summer, you may have a bud large enough to isolate properly (bud cut?) and or, next year's resulting plant may have all it's leaves having the wanted medio factor on all leaves. [see image attached "sagae seedling 1.jpg" to see what we're talking about?]

In view of the fact, that I am not exactly a hundred percent sure about the hypothesis -- of --> removing unwanted leaves, to encourage further development on that leaf which is wanted; therefore, I am going to send this to our NISE-group & hosta-open ..so perhaps, someone can confirm what I'm talking about ..or prove me wrong?

hope this helps and remaining
hosta sincerely yours

Sagae

the'SHADOW'gardener