Sports Correction for page 28 (final proposals)
- To: Daniel Nelson <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Preston Littleton <email@example.com>, Norman Lesch <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Tom Micheletti <email@example.com>, John Kee <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Glen Pether <GPETHER321@aol.com>, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, AHSE-MAILROBIN@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM
- Subject: Sports Correction for page 28 (final proposals)
- From: Jim Hawes <email@example.com>
- Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 12:17:39 -0400
(Note: I am copying the following post addressed to the Hosta Wheels
Committee Members also to the three Robins so that interested readers
may get a flavor of what the Wheels Committee is working on...just for
fun and communication).
Two previous posts suggested proposals for modifying sports listed on
page 28 of the Wheels Document 1999. A third modification proposed for
page 28 is to lift all look-alike forms of so-called Frances Williams
which are known from personal experience to be a distinct, small group
of clones derived perhaps from nuclear mutations and not necessarily
from plastid mutations involving colors only. The basis for this
grouping is the historical references provided by Alex Summers in
several Journal articles.Categorizing these hosta sports separately
takes them out of the look-alike group headed by Aurora Borealis and
includes Aurora Borealis' synonyms and chimeral rearrangement
derivatives remaining on the wheel.
One caveat remains. The historical evidence to prove the clonal
relationships of all remaining look-alike forms on the wheel and their
derivatives is somewhat weak or in some cases non-existent.In the
absence of better information, the residual members of this sport group
are left as they are described on the wheel. Various introducers of
specific sports will probably defend the clonal relationships of their
sports to a certain degree.The committee excuses itself from
participation in these defenses, but lists them on the H. sieboldiana
'Elegans' wheel as the best alternative at this date with the stated
Therefore, please make the following changes on worksheets and in the
various formats(graphic wheel, data base and web page) under
1. Establish a satellite wheel of Golden Circles(Williams No.1141) and
its synonym Olive Bailey Langdon(O'Harra).
2. Attach to the satellite wheel the sport Bristol Frances
Williams(Summers) which is a different sport from those list in item 1.
3. Remove Sunlight Sister(Nesmith 1980) from 6 oclock position because
it is a seedling, not a sport.
4.This completes the satellite wheel of sports derived from sieboldiana
'Elegans' . These are all relatively stable sports and not similar to
the rather unstable second generation sports derived directly or
indirectly from Aurora Borealis.
5. All remaining sports at 3 oclock to 5 oclock should be considered
synonyms of Aurora Borealis until otherwize discovered. All other
sports remaining on the wheel at various positions should be considered
chimeral arrangement caused sports derived from Aurora Borealis or its
many synonyms or derivatives. Please leave the placement of all
remaining sports as they are on the wheel on page 28.
Thus, in this excercise, we have developed a separate wheel of
"Northern" prefix clones, a small satellite wheel of Golden Circles
clones, a residual wheel of all other sieboldiana 'Elegans' derivatives
and we have eliminate several mistakes found in earlier drafts. Thank
you for your cooperation. If there are any questions please address them
to the entire Wheels Committee.
To sign-off this list, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the
message text UNSUBSCRIBE HOSTA-OPEN