Re: attachment = educational?

Win,

John is right in that most streaked Hosta in culture stabilize to the edge
form, but not all.  Our streaked Blue Angel (White Angel), Lakeside Black
Satin (Stained Satin), and Big Daddy Streaks all went to medio forms.  The
type of stabilized form must be under genetic control because most Hosta go
one way or the other.  Hosta Bottom Line stabilized as an edge form and the
medio form (H. Variable Sum) only appeared much later as a spontaneous
change (no streaked intermediary).  The white edged forms of Sum and
Substance (Winter Snow) are also much more common than the medio form
(called Bankrupt, in fun).  It might be noted that Bottom Line is rock
stable while Variable Sum is not, giving both green and gold shoots.
Interestingly, the streaked form of Winter Snow is amazingly stable in the
garden as I have seen plants three years old without a single non-streaked
shoot.

Some streaked Hosta tissue culture quite well while others fall apart.  We
have experimented with TC of streaks for about two years.  Tissue culture
can be used to get stabile forms of streaked Hosta because the plants are
divided much more rapidly than in the garden.  We have also found that TC
can be used to enhance a streaked form an get interesting results.  The
streaked form of Lakeside Black Satin appeared a few years ago in the stock
house as a single yellow streak.  It is not much better now even after
selecting for the streak.  However, in the lab I was able to get a strong
streaking followed by the medio form.  Again I thing it is a numbers game,
the plant just gets divided more rapidly in TC.

Jim Anderson
Winterberry Farms Tissue Culture