Re: Chirifu

I have had Chirifu since Bette Comfry and I bought it as partners at the
Convention in Cedar Rapids in 1993 for big bucks. It has been propagated
and widely distributed to friends. I have also grow about 100 seedlings
of it in two different years. I have them still growing for observation.
In the first year about 25 percent of the seedlings are variegated like
the pod parent. In subsequesnt years some of the green seedling take on
a streaky variegated pattern too. The green ones have developed into
various forms of green monsters. I am taking one to John Lanier to plant
on the slopes of his steep mountain this week

I encourage those interested in this Japanese named cultivar to acquire
it...not because I am the principle source...Ran has some propagated
from one I gave him, as do several other people. But it is still rare
and valuable as a breeder to instill vigor into its progeny. By all
means, don't give up on the green ones. They may be some of the best.
The streaky parent is not nearly as beautiful as some of its streaky

Jim Hawes