Re: Polymer Gels and Hostas

At 07:12 AM 7/29/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Thanks for all your input.  I know in the South, when I was there, they were
>pushing this stuff with each plant you bought, whether it be a shrub, tree,
>whatever.
>I was wondering though, if it would work well up here, how long it lasts,
>and would there be any problems during the winter (if it lasts that long).
>Thanks
>Barbara
>Quebec, Canada
>"township@acbm.qc.ca"

Barbara,

I've used a combination of Pro-Mix BX (a peat-based soilless mix) and
polymer gels in several large planters for years. Even with the peat, the
gel makes a huge difference in how often I have to water. Never tried it in
the ground, though can't imagine it would hurt. How about giving it a try
and getting back to us?

Gerry

P.S. (OT) Got a note from Pat Kophamer yesterday saying they had a
"mini-tornado" touch down at their house..A lot of damage, trees and limbs
covering her gardens. She's really discouraged and making noises about
"chucking the garden" (though I can't imagine she would).