Water Absorbing Polymers

Bob Kuk gave me some information from the manufacturer of HydroSource, (a crossed linked) polyacrylamide. Bob uses HydroSource around t.c. liners and seedlings and has been happy with the results. In fact, Bob loves to show people the clear, jello like substance.

Here's some info from their flyer.

Longevity: 95% active after 5 years. Product tested for over 5 years now.

Absorption Rates: One pound will crystals will absorb and hold from 15 to 40 gallons of water in the soil.

Reduces watering frequency: Reduced by 50 to 75% in potted plants. 15 to 40% in lawns and golf courses. 20 to 40% percent in most irrigated field crops. Water stored in HydroSource is 96 to 99% available to plants.

Reduces leaching of fertilizers/nutrients: Stores and releases nutrients along with water.

Application Rates: 80 to 400 lbs. per acre for lawns and athletic fields. The key is to get HydroSource distributed evenly in appropriate amounts within the normal root growth area of a particular plant.

Sold by:

Western Polyacrylamide Inc.
P.O. box 1377
Jay, OK 74346

Phone-918.253.8922
Fax-918.253.8940

Safety/ Handling: Determined non-hazardous by OSHA 29 CFR 1910. (store away from children and pets)

Cost: In 1997- $145 plus $15 UPS for a 50 LB bag.

I have not used water absorbing polymers but have read of good results for several years now. Bob Kuk is very happy with his results. Also useful for dipping bare rooted woody plants before planting. Used in the tree care business with good success with transplants. I think I will order some on Monday.

It is 100 degrees F. in the shade today in Southern Delaware. Serious drought is affecting a three state area. Today I am watering the hostas. Southern Blight is under good control but with this heat and my watering the conditions are primed for an outbreak.

It town they have started selling cars without windshield wipers.

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7
SussexTreeInc@ce.net

P.S. I happen to be sole owner of Western Polyacrylamide, Inc. Yes, that's the ticket.