RE: What did you do in your garden today?picked millipedes

Where are you, Stacy? We had a similar thing happen here in TN many years
ago..My husband, who did his Ph. D. thesis on millipedes (and yes, that's
what they are) was asked to investigate the cause for some poor lady whose
home was literally covered with them.

Is your house on a slope, maybe towards the top? Millipedes, like many soil
animals, cannot self regulate their body moisture. So they avoid
dessication or "drowning" by changing their location. As a result, they
move uphill when it's too wet and downhill when it's dry. Add that to
unusually large population numbers and there you go...

He published the study in the Bulletin of the Tennessee Academy of Science.
I have a reprint if you'd like.

As to what to do..Can't help there. I'm sure there is some kind of
pesticide that will do the trick, but the plague will eventually go away on
its own.

Gerry