Re: Catching Rabbits in Live traps

  • Subject: Re: Catching Rabbits in Live traps
  • From: "Gerry/Bob O'Neill" <eoneill@attglobal.net>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 08:52:59 -0400

The trick to avoiding skunks is to shut down the traps at dusk. Skunks are
crepuscular (active at dusk and dawn); rabbits and groundhogs are out
during the day, usually early morning and late afternoon.

And please check the trap often. I learned that the hard way, when I set my
groundhog trap in the morning and then left for work on a hot summer day. I
came home at 6 that night to find a groundhog in the trap, exhausted and
dehydrated, covered in groundhog sh*t and with bloody paws from trying to
dig through the bottom. I now only set the trap during the day, in the
shade, and while I'm home to monitor it.

Humane extermination of pests with a gun is far superior to causing them
unnecessary stress, terror and suffering while trapping them with a
Have-a-Hart, not to mention the issue of whether they survive relocation or
not...But here in Oak Ridge, using a gun or poison bait is against city
law, and gassing their burrows is impossible because the burrows are in
impenetrable greenbelt..so I either trap/relocate or just give up gardening.

Gerry