Re: new hosta at Walmart

  • Subject: Re: new hosta at Walmart
  • From: Bill Nash <raffi@sympatico.ca>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 22:30:58 -0400

Hey y'all, please excuse me, but I ain't exactly been following this
Walmart discussion/thread very much, since the City of Guelph is blocking
Walmart from coming to this town <<funny? ..but true!>>  HOW IS IT FUNNY?
..cuz all Walmart needs to do is apply to the Ontario Business Planning
Board <<the next higher Gov't?> and this Power that be, will over-rule the
City Council's DICTATORIAL decision, on the basis it's not good for
business, competition and free enterprise <<sumpin like dat?>>

ANYWAY
            ..I wanted to say one thing; and I truly hope, I am wrong on
these thoughts: (dunno???) but...

-- the Big Boys, who got into hosta production within the last ten years
ARE DUMPING THEIR PRODUCTS RIGHT NOW!!!!

Hostas like Great Expectations, Patriot & June (and a slew of popular
others; including Wide Brim! <mentioned by Tim?>) are being offered to
retail Nurseries in Ontario for $2.50 each right now, in a half price sale.
These are growing in gallon pots, they are mature hostas and are coming out
of greenhouses, so they are a lot bigger than those you or I can produce in
our outdoor gardens.

All I have to say is: I need to do some serious thinking about competing
with wholesale hosta producers on my amateur hobby level; and supplying
Nurseries with same, because it is definitely getting to be TOO MUCH
COMPETITION FOR ME!  The products they are selling for $2.50 Canadian Funds
(and BTW ..the American Dollar is worth $1.55 to buy up here?) did cost me
$7.50 Cdn <-> to aquire three years ago, when I first got them from an
American TC lab.

It seems to me, that everybody I talked to in the past, was wishing &
hoping for FREE TRADE on-a-worldwide basis "the universal shopping centre"
motto <-> well my dear hosta-dude & dudette-growers, I believe IT IS HERE
ALREADY!!! ..and HOSTA-trading, going on right now, is but one small
example of the universal shopping centre; and it's manifestation, in a
free-trading Society?

Here is the Moral & Point to my whole story:  WHEN THE BIG'BOYS IN CHINA
START DUMPING THEIR PRODUCTS? ..nobody can compete with them! <true or
false?>

and simply
               \me thinking out loud?

:-B))