About this "having a war" business....

  • Subject: About this "having a war" business....
  • From: "Andrew Lietzow" <andrewl@hostahaven.com>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 09:18:24 -0500

Hello Bob (and the folks who comprise this eclectic group we call the
Hosta-Open list),

 BDeyes6@aol.com wrote:  >> I think these wars have been waged before......
-------------------------------

And "I"  think I see how these "wars" get started.

1) I asked a simple question regarding policy, terms and conditions and the
like, regarding your decision to post a message recommending that we not bid
on auctions of one "Tk49" (essentially suspending his/her auctions. I
believe the software does not support a suspension option, but I could be
mistaken).  Apparently, you felt "just cause" existed for suspension and I
simply asked a question regarding whether there was a written policy for
such actions.

2) Later, you accused me, through a mistaken identity, of being a bad eBay
seller.  I responded with a request that you correct this public statement
which was obviously in error (confusing me with someone else, whom I do not
know), and you chose not to address this mistake with a simple correction.
Something as simple as a "whoops, I made a mistake" would have sufficed.

3) I send a note privately that recommends that discretion is the better
part of valor, and that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw
stones, etc. but OBVIOUSLY giving you he benefit of the doubt on this
nematode issue (read the message again--I was trying to PRIVATELY alert you
to a possible issue and explaining that I withheld alerting you until I
could do more research).  Then you decide to throw this private conversation
into the fire, racheting up the rhetoric and passion, provoking people to
feel they need to defend you or attack me, etc.

(And I know I've skipped a few parts, but I hope this is a half decent,
albeit subjective, synopsis).

Now we have people thinking we're having some kind of a "war".  I can see
how they might.  Instead, I would like to redirect you back to the original
question at hand.

"Is there a written policy, publicly available, regarding when and how
action is taken that would cause sellers or buyers to be suspended from
participating in the HostaLibrary.org auctions".  If you don't want to take
the time to answer the question directly, Bob, that is your perogative.
And, if you don't take the time to read my messages for whatever reason,
then you'll seldom see any value in a applying reason where reason is all
that is required.   A "yes"; a "no"; an "I have no policy and have no
intention on working on it";  I would simply like to know because I have had
some transactions on the HL.org auctions and want to know the procedures
that are being followed when there is a problem.  And if there are no
standardized procedures, then I simply need to know that, too.  I would
encourage you to establish some if you want the process to appear fair.
That's it. Nothing initially inflammatory at all.

I hope Mr/Ms Tk49 surfaces soon so we can find out what is going on.  When
one signs up to be a seller, maybe there needs to be a more rigorous process
of getting information on just who these people are.  Legitimate excuses
aside, if I had sent money and was getting no where with email, I would like
to have access to a snail mail address or a phone number.  Of course, you
can always use the same method you have this time.  It's your auction site.
Since there is some public support, however, I imagine the policy should be
uniformly applied so your actions are above reproach.

Auction fraud is not a new phenomena and I regret if you think I was
personally attacking you.  There was NEVER any intention on my part to do
so.  I'm simply asking a straight forward question about written policy.  I
hardly think that one could construe that type of a request as grounds for
"war" or a "showdown at the OK Corral".

Hey everyone, have fun at First Look!

Andrew Lietzow
#1 Plantsman at http://HostaHaven.com