Soil ammending

  • Subject: Soil ammending
  • From: "P. Bracey" <pbracey@mtco.com>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 07:38:28 -0500

Good morning!  Today I'm in phase two of my Hosta garden relocation project.  After too many years of fighting the Maple roots I've thrown up the white flag!  I'd been considering this move for a year or two, but after lifting Fire and Ice to take a look at the roots (it has hardly grown in 3 seasons) and finding only 3 roots of it's own with a mass of maple roots surrounding them I decided enough was enough!   Yesterday was spent removing *gasp* sod, and today I'll till, amend and hopefully start transplanting.  I live in Illinois and we have loam, what recommendations would you make as far as soil amending?
Happy Gardening :)