Re: Soil ammending

  • Subject: Re: Soil ammending
  • From: Ray W <wie1086@oh.verio.com>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 12:19:16 -0400

if you are going to replant near the maple, the roots will infiltrate the bed even faster once they are amended. Just got to warn you from my own experience. I have taken to planting hosta in large pots and using the texel bags with spinout (inside out so the coating is on the outside). The bags are cost effective (about $1.25 for a 5gal bag) and come in just about any size. If anyone is interested I can post the distributer I use.

As far as what amendments to add: anything that is organic, available in your area. I have used hardwood and pine bark mulch, peatmoss, leafmold. Also I have added builders sand and water retaining polymers. I use whatever I have at the time. Manure from vegetarian animals is supposedly very good also.

"P. Bracey" wrote:

Good morning!  Today I'm in phase two of my Hosta garden relocation project.  After too many years of fighting the Maple roots I've thrown up the white flag!  I'd been considering this move for a year or two, but after lifting Fire and Ice to take a look at the roots (it has hardly grown in 3 seasons) and finding only 3 roots of it's own with a mass of maple roots surrounding them I decided enough was enough!   Yesterday was spent removing *gasp* sod, and today I'll till, amend and hopefully start transplanting.  I live in Illinois and we have loam, what recommendations would you make as far as soil amending?Happy Gardening :)