Re: Your recommendations please

  • Subject: Re: Your recommendations please
  • From: Linda <falkora@smig.net>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:06:36 -0500

I don't consider Alvatine Taylor a substitute for Frances Williams at
all!  This is what I wrote earlier, responding to P.Bracey's earlier
post.

>I have seen 'Alvatine Taylor' recommended as a replacement for
>'Frances Williams'...I think it's beautiful, same colors as FW but
>not as bright, but definitely different...both are needed!

Actually, I have found FW a very nice hosta with very little if any
burning.  I have Aurora Borealis which is just now mature enough to
resemble FW, and I have Samurai, still immature.  Josh, I think only
the color combination of A.Taylor is like FW, and I think both of
them are wonderful hostas, but different!  I don't have Olive Bailey
Langdon, but since F.W. seems to be doing very well in my garden I
have too many other hostas on my want list to get OBL  My FW came
from Eldren Minks...maybe that's why it is so nice!

>  > Eleanor Holt wrote:
>>
>>  I've noted Linda's recommendation of Alvatine Taylor as a substitute
>>  for Frances Williams.  Is there any other hosta which would be a good
>>  stand-in for Frances (and wouldn't burn or scorch or do whatever you
>>  call her unfortunate tendency to discolor)?
>>
>  > Thanks--Eleanor, Northern Illinois

Me writing again (Linda)..amazing how a couple of posts later how
what you meant to say gets misinterpreted!  Did any of you ever play
"Simon Says" when you were a kid?  Happens in real life all the time.
Anyway, P.Bracey, I think you would be happy keeping your Frances
Williams and adding Alvatine Taylor!
Linda Kofstad