Re: Bad Hosta Day :(

  • Subject: Re: Bad Hosta Day :(
  • From: BanyaiHsta@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:12:28 EDT

Denise, I wait until a late hard frost has chilled the plant and leaves. Then cut off the leaves at the end of the stalk, dig and knock the soil off, leaving only the straggly roots. Put in a plastic bag - no dirt - and lay flat in an unheated basement.

Next spring, about 2-4 weeks after a hard frost in late March early April, I simply replant. It takes aboout 2-4 weeks and a new leaf will pop out. I do clean the old dry leaf straps off the side and cut the end of the stalk down about 2 inches to get rid of the crusty old stem end.

A friend in the rare plant business who has seen my banana grove and hostas here in Delaware noted that decorative bananas are the next hosta: apparently they tissue culture easily, are low maintainence and grow well in sun/shade/poor soil, perfect for the south. I told him the combination architechurally of various height bananas with different colors, in the full sun with hostas stuck under and around taking advantage of the shade is the next craze. He is actually working up some landscape designs based on this concept!

Crazier by the day!
bruce ( known in earlier days as bruce the banana, but I outgrew that nickname - I think)