Re: Minneapolis to Omaha Attractions?

  • Subject: Re: Minneapolis to Omaha Attractions?
  • From: "Andrew Lietzow" <andrewl@hostahaven.com>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:13:26 -0500

Layne,
IF you can entice Joyce Flies into it, or Marvin Lemke, these are two superb gardens you could see and enjoy.  My place is coming along, so I appreciate Paula's plug, but I have not completed the infrastructure--it's still a work in progress with retaining walls going in, lights, water feature, etc., and lots of boulders still being moved into place.  About 350 varieties in the ground but still nothing to write home about.

This is not the case for Marvin's Gardens (this good man sets a world standard for database maintenance and attention to detail in plant labeling).  I cannot speak for Marvin, but if you're REALLY good and don't step on any plants, he might even let you buy your very own copy of a Marvin's Fabulous List (still a measely $12.00?) AND show you how he maintains it.  800+ plants, all expertly displayed, and 800+ plants all wonderfully cataloged.  For what more could a serious Hosta collector ask?

And Pantheon Gardens; how can I describe it?  The whole place literally takes your breath away.  Every single plant and every single pathway--all meticulously maintained by 100's of tiny munchkins who live in the forests that surround the home of the King and Queen of Pantheon.   Joyce and John have done truly a marvelous job in building an impressive display of their passion for the genus.  And, it will especially look nice if Joyce has been successful at keeping the deer, hail, slugs, rabbits, and cutworms all at bay.   I'm sure she has several munchkin knights posted all about, expressly for this purpose.  NOT too far off the beaten path, and worth every minute of the drive to get there.

These are two very exceptional gardens, well worth the price of admission... And there many other fine offerings in between, as some have shared, but these are two IOWA contributions that are world class, IMO.  Enjoy your trip!

Andrew Lietzow
#1 Plantsman at http://HostaHaven.com
1250 41st Street
Des Moines, IA 50311-2516