Re: Fw: Need hybredizing help.

  • Subject: Re: Fw: Need hybredizing help.
  • From: HIEESML@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 00:19:10 EDT

In a message dated 6/15/01 6:51:40 PM Central Daylight Time,
samk52@earthlink.net writes:

<< hanks Layne,  do you mean I should get the pollen in the evening?
 I leave for work at 6:00 in the morning, start work at 7:00 and go on
 first break at 9:15.  Do you think I could collect the pollen before 6 in
 the morning
 and pollinate at that time too?  This is going to take some juggling.  How
 dry
 should the pollen be?  How long does it take to dry?
 Thanks again!
 IGLH >>

Hi

Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town.

I am about an hour behind you. I leave at 7 start work at 8. I get out to the
garden in the morning while the coffee is brewing. With a scissors I snip off
the pollen I want to save onto a 1/4 sheet of paper & set in the house. I've
written the name of the pollen on that sheet. I then take the pollen I want
to use out & after removing the anthers & flower petals apply the pollen to
the stigma of the prospective pod parent.

You will find that you can make a few crosses, collect your pollen, do your
labeling, get your thermos filled & be out the door in less than a half hour.
The saved pollen is ready to be put away when I get home & usually I do that
prior to going to bed. You need to make your crosses before the bees so I
think it should be done in the morning.

Last year was my first attempt at this so I'm no expert but what I did seemed
to work. There are many, many out there with a lot more experience than I.
Please someone jump in if I'm giving some poor direction.

Thanks

Layne