Re: Library is back up

  • Subject: Re: Library is back up
  • From: "H. WILLIAMS" <msbucky@home.com>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 23:43:05 -0400

You might donate, I might donate, but sounds to me like alot of people
might be looking for something for nothing...? As far as a free cd is
concerned and library privileges?

> ---Right, but as long as the site was free, how many people would pay for the CD? I probably would, as long as updates were provided regularly, at a reasonable price. Set up like a book club? But then, why not take the site off the web entirely?

Because the site attracts newcomers, generates revenue for commercial
growers by displaying the plants, and promotes the use of hosta.

> > Alternately, a user fee could be charged.  For instance, free access for say the first ten hits, then if the user wants to continue to use the library, membership could be a mandatory requirement.
> >

> ---I don't think this is a bad idea, but how much time would it take to set up? would it be more headache for Bob?
> -Alttara

I don't believe it would be that difficult to accomplish and it would
generate revenue for Bob to compensate him for some of the time he puts
in.  Actually, one of the benefits of membership to the library could be
that the CD was included in the deal, with annual membership renewals
bringing an updated cd, or perhaps a short cd with only the additions
from the year past.  It would also cut down on data transfers, as people
would probably check the cd first before logging in to the library.
There are many sites that offer 'trial memberships'.