Re: Multiple Stigma's

  • Subject: Re: Multiple Stigma's
  • From: Alttara Scheer <alttara@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 21:31:07 -0400

Hey Chick!

Hunh. Where did you learn this? (or was it just field experience?) I've not seen that mentioned anywhere previously. Very interesting, in any case. Does it trace back to any particular species? Thanks for the enlightenment!

-Alttara

Chick wrote:

I don't think you are going to get multiple seed pods.  The
pistil is composed of three parts, carpels, I think, that
are normally fused to make what looks like a single style
and stigma.  It is not that unusual for them to come apart.
It looks like you have three stigma instead of one, but
there were always three there.  I'm not sure, but I don't
think the "unraveling" of the pistil has any affect on
fertility.

Chick