RE: Tetraploids ((: H'mmm? ;))

  • Subject: RE: Tetraploids ((: H'mmm? ;))
  • From: Bill Nash <raffi@sympatico.ca>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 22:33:03 -0400

To: PHOENIX_HOSTA_ROBIN@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM, hosta-open@mallorn.com
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 10:23:24 -0400
Subject: Tetraploids
From: ctuttle39@juno.com
Sender: owner-hosta-open@mallorn.com

I have what I believe to be a tetraploid in the garden.
Questions:
likelihood of being fertile?
What happens with seeds from selfed? Will there be at least some
tetraploid seedlings? or a lot? or none? How about crosses with non
tetraploids?
Would someone with experience please share some insight.
Thanks,
Charles
--------
At 12:07 PM 06/27/2001 -0400, JIm  Anderson wrote:
>Charles,
>
>Tetraploids have a doubling of chromosomes (4X) which changes the plant
>characteristics but generally does not affect fertility.  Diploid Hosta have
>two sets of chromosomes (2X).  If you cross two tetraploids ((4X -> 2x) +
>(4x -> 2x)) you get all tetraploid progeny (4x).  A selfed tetraploid is the
>same as crossing two tetraploids.
>
>If you cross tetraploid  (4x) to diploid (2x) you get all triploids((4x ->
>2x) + (2x -> 1x) = (3x).  Triploids tend to be sterile as 3x -> aneuploid (a
>mixture of 1x and 2x for each chromosome which does not work) or very rarely
>to 1x or 2x.
>
>Jim Anderson
>WFTC

*** SOME Questions:
1) to Charles Tuttle: A) on what basis do you suggest/SUSPECT, that your
hosta in question is a polyploid plant, opposed to diploid? ///and...
                              B) only lab proven diagnostics per chromosome
count in a hosta, really means anything! -- wouldn't you think?  I don't
see anyone providing this kind of proof, as to so'called "TETRAPLOIDS"? ;)

2) to Jim Anderson:  on the premise, that the meristem has three cell
layers therefore, are you suggesting, that all three layers make up the
double chromosomed plant; or when, any one of these layers becomes
polyploid, then this means the hosta can be said to be a Tetraploid?

I thought, tetraploid hostas, only pollinate with Tets!  TRUE or false?

<<simply wondering!!!>>

:-B))
       \ aka bill nash, canada