RE: Tetraploids

  • Subject: RE: Tetraploids
  • From: halinar@open.org
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 09:02:53 -0700 (PDT)

>If you cross tetraploid  (4x) to diploid (2x) you get all
>triploids((4x -> 2x) + (2x -> 1x) = (3x).

That's assuming you don't have triploid block in hostas.  With
triploid block the triploid embryos that do get produced are aborted,
so when you cross a diploid with a tetraploid you don't get any seeds.
However, if the diploid is producing unreduced gametes, then that is
the same as a gamate from a tetraploid, so then all the seedlings from
a diploid crossed with a tetraploid will be tetraploid because the
diploid is behaving like a teraploid.

The problem with tetraploids in hostas that I can see is that I can't
easily see them!  With daylilies and also lilies you can look at the
plant and often, but not always, get an idea if it is a tetraploid.
In daylilies there is triploid block, but there is no triploid block
in lilies.  I thought at one time Ben said that hostas had triploid
block.  It would be easy enough to check if you have some hostas you
know are tetraploids.

Joe Halinar