Re: tets and hexaploid S&S

  • Subject: Re: tets and hexaploid S&S
  • From: Alex Waterhouse-Hayward <alexwh@wimsey.com>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 15:44:03 -0400

Dear Ben,

No, you weren't there at the scientific meeting but the moderators from Iowa
handled your side of the story quite well. On the opposition, and gracious
one I must say, was James Anderson in his suspenders. I sure wish I had lots
of money to give out as with some money he and others would be able to put
forward counter arguments to your findings. Until now their arguments are
based on hearsay and in garden observation.

If I could read between the lines, your method will probably help to
eliminate many species seen as separate species. All those "different"
hostas would end up being the same species with climatic and site variations.

I do want to stress that I am an amateur gardener with a largish garden full
of plants that do include hostas. I don't propagate or sell. But I still
found the meeting fascinating and fun.

One of the arguments given against your findings was the one that said that
in the case of chimeric polypoids you would have to test the dna content
from cells of both parts of the leaf. Thus sending you one offset wouldn't
be enough.

Every once in a while I see at garden store in Vancouver the Dutch plastic
bags that have hosta crowns is saw dust. I can almost imagine and see
American growers cringe at the sight of them. But then they may have
forgotten about Dutch botanical clout and their skill at marketing.

Sincerely yours,

Alex Waterhouse-Hayward