RE: tets and hexaploid S&S

  • Subject: RE: tets and hexaploid S&S
  • From: "James M. Anderson" <JmaHosta@WinterberryFarms.com>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 17:19:27 -0400

Suspenders it is.

So that I do not get into another argument with Ben, let me explain what I
said at the meetings.  I find that Sum and Substance is not that infertile,
and there are several known hybrids of the plant.  Some of these hybrids are
quite normal, not typical of aneuploids.  For these reasons, it is difficult
for me to see how the plant is a triploid.  Hosta Blizzard which is a
streaked form of S&S sets seed for me quite easily producing streaked
seedlings.  On the other hand, Ben has the only actual data on the plant,
which if correct, is very interesting.

The Hosta Eagles Nest is another story.  If the dark green form (from the
cells in the center of the leaf) is a polyploid of S & S, then it would also
be a hexaploid by Ben's reckoning.  A hexaploid form would explain the very
slow growth of the dark green form.  If you are game Ben, let me send you
some samples to play with and let us see what is going on.  Remind me of
your address and I will get you some plants to work with.  I still believe
that for determining ploidy, you are using the best techniques.

Another plant Ben mentions as polyploid is Cheatin Hearts which has given us
all kinds of sports.  Illicit Affair has a green center, Stolen Kiss has a
gold center/ green edge, and a streaked form exists that has white and green
streaks.  All three grow faster than Cheatin Hearts.

Jim Anderson