Re: Tetraploids

  • Subject: Re: Tetraploids
  • From: NardaA@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 07:01:32 EDT

In a message dated 6/30/01 1:55:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time, halinar@open.org
writes:

<< If Sum and Substance is a
 triploid, then I suspect that tet pollen would be more likely to set
 pods on Sum and Substance then diploid pollen.

Joe, Jim, I personally know that when Sum and Substance first came available
that Mark Zilis and Doug Lohman did many crosses with venusta and there are
several hostas with the Doug Lohman Mark Zilis name behind the registration,
all from Sum and Substance X venusta or the reverse, not sure about that.

Doug says that they were the easiest crosses that he ever made and the
variety in the seedlings was amazing.  So is venusta a tet?  Or am I
wondering down a path lost and confused?  N.