Re: The reverted H.Dorothy benedict

  • Subject: Re: The reverted H.Dorothy benedict
  • From: Jim Hawes <hawesj@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 09:58:05 -0400

Dear Toyozo,

I have returned from Maryland where my hosta garden is located. I am now in
Florida and have found more than 500 messages on my computer. It was interesting
reading all of the subject matter discussed
Among them was your message asking my opinion about reversion of 'Dorothy
Benedict' as a  former  striated type hosta.  I am happy to discuss my opinion
with you on this subject.

As our  recent discussion on the origin of sports  have  indicated, a striated
sport is one in which the sorting out of unmutated, mutated and mixed cells of
both types of homoplastidic and heteroplastidic cells containing varying
proportions of each type of plastids may vary according to WHEN sorting out
began and the RAPIDITY with  which  the sorting out phenomena proceeded... The
sorting out is also influenced by any tissue transfer which may have taken place
. There is no control over any of these processes that I know of except to cut
into rhizome tissue at various places and at various times to perhaps influence
which dormant buds may acquire dominance over others in the bud population which
exists on the rhizome tissue.. There is a chance that some of the dormant buds
which exist on the rhizome may have "advanced sorting out characteristics"
which may become apparent when they are  released from dominanace by the cutting
process. If such is the case, then there is the possibility that more
streakiness may occur in the next season when these streaked buds are released
from dominance and perhaps sprout. I would try this proceedure to see if your
green reverted plants which have lost their striations will perhaps become
"streakies" once more.I am repeating this communication about streakies to
hosta-open because it may be of interest to others in the group.I hope this is
alright with you..

Thanks for your kind words and concern for my wife's health in other recent
email posts..

Your hosta friend, Jim Hawes