Re: The reverted H.Dorothy benedict

  • Subject: Re: The reverted H.Dorothy benedict
  • From: Alex Waterhouse-Hayward <alexwh@wimsey.com>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 13:32:02 -0400

Dear Jim,

In plain language the gentleman did nothing about the reversion of his
'Dorothy Benedict' until it was too late. Had he removed in time the leaves
that emerged unstreaked he would have maintained the streakiness. Every
spring I keep a watch on my Hosta 'Reversed' and remove all green or almost
all green leaves. Some of the leaves of my 'Paul's Glory' emerge green so I
snip them out. One of my bad hostas, H. 'Colour Glory' is reverting but I am
allowing it to as it manifested good old 'Frances Williams' necrosis. I
don't think it's worth saving. Another hosta that reverts that I keep
monitoring and snipping for old time's sake is my Hosta 'La Vista'. It's in
a pot and when visitors to my garden say goodbye, "Hasta la vista," I
immediately respond, "Oh, it's over here if you want to look at it."

Alex