Re: Sport

  • Subject: Re: Sport
  • From: Bill Nash <raffi@sympatico.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 16:39:31 -0400

At 03:11 PM 06/04/2002, John Gall wrote to the Sport Committee:

What is meant by the term "sport"? I am new to hostas and I keep running
across the word.
Thank you in advance for an answer.
John Gall

Johnny: The easy way to handle, understanding the words SPORT verses MUTATION, is to consider them to mean the same thing.

Let us assume, just for debate alone here: that you are growing JUNE HOSTA, and you happen to see one leaf has gone all green, instead of showing off the yellow/white centered leaf variegation?  Beneath that leaf stem (behind it) is a bud.  It's located just above the rhizome, which will grow into an eye and then, a plant will emerge in one of the next growth cycles.  This eye-plant is almost 100 percent guaranteed to be all green, by all of it's leaves, since it was a leaf sport (reverting back to it's all green original form?).
    Now, I'm going to take this a step further: June-hosta was found in a TC lab in England; originating from HALCYON-hosta setup propagation.  I will bet my money, that our hypothetical green sport of June, can be labeled justly as H. Halcyon and sold as such?

This same kind of logic/rationale, I would venture to say: also applies to GREAT EXPECTATIONS-hosta; and it's parent it sported/mutated from (H. sieboldiana 'Elegans') and can be sold as same?
     To prove my contentions above, I am growing many seedlings from the green sports/mutations of those plants mentioned above, along with the originals of Halcyon and Elegans, for comparative studies?

NOW JOHN?..I am not a scientist, this is just from my own practical experience and logic that I write.  I am sending this email into other groups -- their comments welcome?

Bill Nash Guelph Ontario Canada (just a very loose cannon <PR dept> for James Hawes whom started the Sport Committee).  BTW...the only formal Scientific training I've had with gardening, was letting those farm-hand females MUD-WRESTLE ME RIGHT INTO THE GROUND? <lol>