Grasses Not Hostas

  • Subject: Grasses Not Hostas
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 13:36:46 -0500

This is about grass and not about hostas. Every year I try to come up with
two or three ideas of approaching  my growing plot with something
different. Most of the ideas are fairly crazy, and by the end of the season
look like hell. That's why I write about them early, long  before I am
confronted with their true reality.

This year I found myself with(6) foot wide containers (earthenware)  8 to
16 " high. I decided to purchase 6 different types of mowing grasses and
grow them in the containers. The stronger ones I hope to be able to sculpt
a bit and they will be placed along the gravel walkways.  I used grasses
like Kentucky Blue, Red Fescue....  What I have left of my own lawn after
years of garden creep is a mixed bag. My lawn exists only as a setting for
the hosta gardens and that is rapidly being turned into gravel paths.
Perhaps the container grasses will change my attitude about the lawn. Or if
this project fails I won't mention it again. They are cover with a couple
layers of cheese cloth right now and have just stated to sprout. At least
it will be nice to have some patches of grass without dandelions or
violets. Does anyone know the names of the grasses they use around the T's
on the golf course?

de gustibus non est disputandum
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.