Re: cutworms on hostas?

  • Subject: Re: cutworms on hostas?
  • From: "W. George Schmid" <hostahill@Bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 11:53:54 -0400

Hi Lu-Dan,

I tried nematodes to no avail. The only thing (unfortunately) that seems to work is to apply nasty systemic insecticides when the first notches are noticed. Here the damage is on epimedium (fresh young leaves), H. 'Honeybells'  and H. plantaginea, and anything with a bright green spring color, like the young leaves of the redbud tree (Cercis canadensis). They seem to leave dark green alone. I only spot treat because the nonsocial, solitary leaf cutter bees are realy good bees. The damage occurs only during a certain period in early spring, here in late April and into mid-May, when the bees are lining their new nests with the leaf cutouts. Apparently, the systemic gets carried into the nests and works there. More in my book page 374.

W. George