(( me head be sore? (and other stuff?) | Mon, 17 Jun 2002 11:52:49" />

Re: Guess who got hailed on "B>(( me head be sore? (and other stuff?)

  • Subject: Re: Guess who got hailed on "B>(( me head be sore? (and other stuff?)
  • From: Bill Nash <raffi@sympatico.ca>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 12:51:09 -0400

Narda'darlin; and the others who have responded on the hail damage debate:

>> The red veined hosta in question, is aimed at 'Line Breeding' of this particular gene-pool; to hopefully, come up with a "seed-strain" which will provide this kind of leaf-coloring in most of it's siblings perhaps?
      Last year, I divided the single plant I have, since I was going to donate a division to the AHS hosta Auction in Raleigh NC however, along the way, I visited Mr. James Hawes in Oakland MD and he and Edna (his wife?) were so hospitable to me and my wife therefore, I decided that he needed to work with red-in-leaf more-so than the auction did; and in view of the fact, that the AHS is not particularly that keen on showing/having un-registered specimens anywhere, at any time...I think?
      Anyway, that main division is in Mr. Hawes' hosta garden now, for his enjoyment/evaluations, but as a result of my division of this one plant, I saw no flowers on any of my plants here.  This means my inbreeding was delayed.  No more divisions will be done until crops of seedlings are growing.
       You probably know, that my enjoyment with hosta-gardening is mostly focused on the creation of fairly pure-bred seed-strains, opposed to naming and registering new cultivars; for example:
-- LET'S STREAK, a code-name for a seed-strain which provides for streaky results & THIS IS GUARANTEED!
-- BIG BLUE & WHITE FLOWERING...provides for same kind of seedlings; guaranteed likewise!
-- YELLOW PIECRUST...via 'Merna's Lemon Piecrust' (not registered and no plants sold by myself).  Merna has the other half of this white flowering, piecrusted-leaf  selection.
... to above mentions but a few seed strains I'm working on.

Paul Aden wrote in one of his books, something to the effect, that it  is not advisable as a good plan: "to flood the market with useless seedlings"?  Via the process of 'Line Breeding' I'm thinking otherwise; since local 'Wholesale Nursery Distributors' are supporting me whole-hearted, on the work I'm doing in-breeding for specific hosta characteristics; and this, is aimed exclusively for Landcaping Tradesmen, not hosta collectors.

Thank you kindly for your thoughts.  I am and remain

hosta'ly yours

"bill nash, guelph, ontario, canada" <raffi@sympatico.ca>
<=== and regarding below=======>