More on Hosta Chewing Insects

  • Subject: More on Hosta Chewing Insects
  • From: "Mortko, Robert A. (Rob)" <MortkoRA@bv.com>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 10:09:15 -0500

Good morning all,

A related question...

The visible damage caused by either slugs and cutworms (or caterpillars in
general) is fairly distinctive and easy to identify. However I have been
getting some questions on other insects that might cause similar damage on
hostas. One person claims to have religiously applied slug bait since early
spring and is still getting small holes in their hosta leaves. There is
speculation that some types of beetles might also chew on hostas leaves
leaving small holes.  Can anyone speculate on this? If so I assume a broad
coverage insecticide like Sevin would take care of the problem?

Rob in KC