Re: Another dumb question

  • Subject: Re: Another dumb question
  • From: "Ann James" <annfree@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 21:12:38 -0500

We are a good 45 minutes north of Houston and it's a whole different world.
Houston dirt is Lake Charles clay, mostly and Conroe dirt is sandy and
shallow.  I live in a forest.  There are so many trees in our yard that it's
like a private wood.

The hostas I have here not only endure but flourish.  I have never seen any
perennials come back with such enthusiasm.  Lake Jackson is even closer to
the coast than Houston.  Up here, it's like moving almost to another state.
Not that I would, you understand.  Once a Texan, it's kind of permanent.

The front shade bed where the hostas are planted, except for the three in
pots, has three trees in it.  There is big competition for moisture, but we
have a sprinkler system and I also go out with a hose and water things down.
The hostas are not only flourishing, they apparently are multiplying.  I may
be running out of shade in which to move them.

What baffles me is that hostas are practically unknown here.  I have found
exactly one at a local nursery. The rest I got mail order.  Such easy plants
ought to be in every garden.