Impatiens for black vine weevil

  • Subject: Impatiens for black vine weevil
  • From: BanyaiHsta@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 23:12:07 EDT

Clyde is correct: you can slowly eradicate black vine weevils by planting
impatiens among hosta and then killing the critters at night. Kind of messy
as you have to use pliers to crush them - try it and you will understand -
but very effective. Once you get the females - no I don't which is which, but
kill them all, there  will be less eggs to follow. I also use Isotox  Orthene
specifically for the larvae.

Go out like you do to check for slugs but check the undersides of the
impatiens leaves for the dreaded weevil. When you find it slowly position the
pliers and then snap them dead. Once you get the hang of it you can knock out
a lot in one night.

Little kids are great at it if you make it a game.
bruce